8.30.2010

Boy Names


Aaron, Parker, Samuel….

We recently submitted our profile for consideration to a birth family that is expecting a boy in October. It represented a huge step for us, since it was the first time that our profile was actually viewed by a birth family. We realized that our being selected was a long-shot, and I thought I had absorbed and processed that fact.


Elijah, Jack, Luke….


Although I tried to distance myself emotionally from the situation (a kind of self-preservation tactic in case we weren’t ultimately selected) I found myself unusually preoccupied with boy names. I started to pay increased attention to every male name that crossed my path – whether in TV show credits, or in my email contacts.


Josiah, Jeremy, Ethan…


I was fixated, and I’m not entirely sure why. I have a loooong list of girl names at the ready, but don’t have the same list compiled of boy names. It’s not that I have a preference for a girl. Instead, I think it has more to do with the fact that there seems to be many more unusual little girl names out there - or at least there are more that I have heard and immediately fallen in love with.


Drew, Noah, Josh…

We found out on Friday that the birth family selected another adoptive family for this particular little guy. I also discovered on Friday that I had deluded myself into thinking I could protect myself emotionally from this incredibly emotional process.

3 comments:

Crafty Nester said...

I found you through production not reproduction and I can totally relate to this post. we have had one contact and it's true, you can't really protect your self from the emotions of it all. At least we can all (us adoptive parents to be) can be in it together!

Unknown said...

LOL I fixated on closing credits too! How funny.

Geochick said...

Hi and thanks for commenting on my blog! I can't imagine how difficult it is to put the profile in front of someone and not get emotionally invested. It's something we haven't done yet and I don't look forward to it. I'm looking forward to following your journey!

Post a Comment